Thursday, 7 April 2011

Moving targets and trashy TV

This is not my first blog. It is, however, my first blog since leaving college. I meant to start this ages ago when I first moved from sunny LA to rural Brampton in Cambridgeshire in November 2009. Suffice it to say, real life got in the way. And a job. Now that I'm enjoying FUNemployment, I thought it would be a good time to try the blog thing again, and let my family and friends in Cali see what I've been up to.

Yesterday was my first driving lesson since I was 15! The hubby B taught me how to drive stick when I first arrived, since my Cali driver's license was good for a year. I wasn't bad at driving manual, just not used to it! We drove around the base and practiced in various parking lots, but we only ventured off base once. However, since the one year mark passed last November, I hadn't driven at all! I finally sent off my passport to get my UK provisional license (learner's permit) earlier this year, so why not put it to good use? My driving instructor, Bob, picked me up at the gate and we left to find a quiet neighborhood in Brampton. He walked me through the mechanics of the car and the importance of the clutch. The last time I learned anything about a car was during Freshman O before I got my permit!!! Then, we were off!

It was scary, to the say least. Yesterday was one of the hottest and sunniest days of the year (yay Spring!), so there were tons of cars, kids, and people on bikes around. In other words, lots of moving targets! It was an obstacle course with all the parked cars along the narrow streets, too! In the end, the 2 hours passed by super quickly. I only stalled twice, the second time being at the very end when we were parking to finish. I know my spatial awareness is still off - I was scared of all the cars coming on the right, especially when a bus turned a tight corner and I thought I was going to hit it! - but Bob thinks that I did well for a first lesson. Hopefully, B and I will get a chance to practice a bit before my next lesson next week.

For now, it's a lot of lounging around the house until B gets home and lots of trashy daytime TV! Hello, MTV and E!

No comments:

Post a Comment