Thursday, 20 October 2011

Pregnancy Fitness

One of my friends asked me how people (both friends and strangers) have treated me since finding out about the pregnancy. I think most people assume pregnant women are delicate creatures who need help with carrying their bags and up the stairs. While lifting heavy objects in my current state is a def no-no, I have never considered myself a delicate flower! (Unless you are my husband and I don't feel like doing the dishes or cleaning!...) I think I've done a good job keeping my life as normal as possible throughout the pregnancy. I haven't let 'my condition' keep me from doing anything I wouldn't normally do (except eating certain foods like blue cheese and raw sushi!). I even climbed a freaking volcano in Greece during my 2nd trimester. However, B got super protective and wouldn't let me ride a quad bike for fear of falling, but that's a dad-to-be's prerogative!

I've always been the sporty type and finding out I was pregnant meant having to change up my usual workouts. I was by no means a super skinny type (hello, swimmer's shoulders and huge biceps!), but I found exercise a good way to help with stress as well as keep in shape. Rather than give up exercising altogether, I just had to tweak it a bit. Full disclosure: I haven't been to the gym in months!!! The experts say you shouldn't raise your heart rate above 140 beats per minute (bpm). It is amazing how little effort it takes to bring your heart rate up - I couldn't even do a slow jog or go on the elliptical! So basically, I stopped going to the gym because the only thing I could do is a brisk walk on the treadmill or ride the bike and it got too boring... although I can't remember exactly when I stopped going to the gym...

(Off-topic true story: The day I took the pregnancy test, B and I were heading to the gym. I had noticed that the last few times I'd been, I had to go at a slower pace on the treadmill than usual. I hate running outside and I think it's part of my Type A personality that I like knowing how far I've gone, how long and at what speed! So I took a test that evening before the gym and it came out positive. However, I was sure that the two lines were there already there. Yes, I went old school and got a cheap Boots double pack with the one or two lines! We went the gym, I drank a load of water (which they advise you not to do...) and took the 2nd test, which also came out positive!)

So anyway, I decided to try out pregnancy yoga around my 20 week mark. (Disclaimer: Experts warn that while it's important to exercise while pregnant, it's also important that you not do anything new that your body won't be used to! I have been attending yoga classes on and off for the last few years, so I def wouldn't consider myself a newbie to yoga! Also, consult with your doctor or midwife before trying out any new exercise regime!) Here in Huntingdon, there was a sheet about yoga in my pregnancy pack that I got from the midwife after I confirmed my pregnancy at the Brampton surgery.

Barbara Moorby is the instructor and she runs the pregnancy yoga class at the Oak Tree Centre on Wednesday night. Her classes cost £7.50 each, but she asks that you commit and pay for 5 classes at a time until you get close to your due date. Since I could pop at any time now, I pay by the week. At first, I thought the class was pretty slow compared to the Ashtanga/Vinyasa flow yoga I've done in the past. I like holding difficult poses and when yoga makes me sweat! However, because my most previous job involved publishing on Wednesdays, there were some weeks that I missed class because I was working late. I definitely felt the difference when I didn't attend for a few weeks! I think my back has been the most affected. As my bump has grown, my lower back has carried the weight and attending yoga def helps me loosen up and stretch my muscles! There are usually only a handful of people that attend each week, but I also like the camaraderie that comes with talking to other expectant mothers. I def recommend it!

The other way I've been exercising is through a fitness DVD: Complete Pregnancy Fitness with Erin O'Brien. I got it for £11.99 (including free delivery) through Amazon.
The pregnancy workout consists of two parts: a 40 minute normal workout and a 20 minute additional partner workout. There's also a postnatal DVD, but I obviously haven't tried it yet. The workout itself uses a lot of pilates/ballet moves and works the arms, legs, and core without straining yourself. It's a great low-impact workout that still manages to make me sweat (but not in the way that an aerobics class would). I tried the partner workout for the first time and my limbs felt it for the next 3 days! I try to do the 40-minute workout at least three times a week. So far so good! I would def recommend it for people who get bored at the gym easily but don't have access to a gym or studio class like me. I wanted to try aquanatal, but because it's during the middle of a weekday, I couldn't attend while I was working in London. This DVD has def been the next best thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment