Saturday, 15 October 2011

Review: Theraline Maternity and Nursing Pillow

So since I'm the first (or second) of a lot of my friends to have a baby, I thought I'd write some reviews on the products and services I've used during my pregnancy. First up is the body pillow I started using right around the start of my third trimester. I usually sleep on my stomach and on my right side, but obviously I've had to change it around! I now sleep on my left side but at the beginning of my third trimester (around August), I was having a lot of trouble sleeping. They advise you not to sleep on your back because there's a vein that runs through your lower body to your heart. As the baby gets bigger, he can place pressure on the vein and disrupt the flow of nutrients to the placenta (Source: BabyCenter). For me personally, I would get dizzy if I slept on my right side (the vein goes along the right side of your body) or lay on my back for too long. My yoga instructor actually recommended that I try a Theraline body pillow.


I bought the Original Maternity and Nursing Pillow with the above pillow cover. I thought orange would be nice and bright for the little one to play with once he's born! The pillow itself is filled with micro-beads that you can move around. I had looked at a few other body pillows and I thought they were too big and I worried that it wouldn't be comfortable to put between my legs as I lay on my side. Because of the micro-beads, you can move the thickness along the length of the pillow, so I make the pillow thinner between my legs and thicker along the top so I can lay my head on it. It's soooooo comfortable! I would definitely recommend it. I've had to fight B for it a few times because he also likes hugging it! Also, because the pillow cover is removable, it's easy to throw into the washing machine. I could also buy other patterns if I wanted to, although I don't think it's really necessary. Once the baby is born, I'll try the nursing utility of the pillow and let you know how it goes!

The only downside is that the delivery of the pillow sucked. I ordered it directly from the Theraline online store, which is based in Germany. I've been so used to online shopping that delivers anywhere from next day (Hello, ASOS!) to 3-4 days, however it took a week for the pillow to arrive AND the driver had difficulty getting onto the base. That means it took nearly a week and a half to 2 weeks for me to finally get the pillow after I ordered it! DHL, you need to work on your delivery service! Very un-German-like! haha One of the department stores here, John Lewis, sells the pillow but only in one color (a very dull ecru). I also found the website a bit confusing. It made it sound like I was ordering and paying in Euros but Theraline uses a service called Moneybookers to complete the purchase and I paid in pound sterling.

So overall:
5/5 for the pillow itself but an annoying 2/5 for service!
Cost: £44.95 including delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment